Lenexa city ordinance requires all dogs and cats over the age of six months to be licensed by the city within 10 days of being in the city. Proof of current rabies vaccinations is required. Licenses are issued for a calendar year. All pet licenses expire on Dec. 31 regardless of the date purchased. Renewal statements are mailed in November.
Answers to common pet-licensing questions
Registration or Renewal Options:
- Online – www.petdata.com, enter your zip code
- By mail – return the completed application and a copy of the pet’s current rabies vaccination to: PetData; PO Box 141929; Irving, TX 75014-1929
- Spayed/neutered dog or cat: $12
- Non-spayed/neutered dog or cat: $22
- Replacement tag: $2
Special Pet Permit
A special pet permit is required to house more than two dogs and/or more than two cats at any residential address in the City of Lenexa. A special pet permit is $100 with an annual renewal fee of $20. This is in addition to the normal licensing fee. Apply for a new special pet permit by mail, at Lenexa City Hall, 12350 W. 87th St. Pkwy.
Questions? Call 913.477.7500.
Reasons to license your pet
- A license tells everyone that your pet is not a stray.
- Licenses help link finders of lost animals with pet owners. A license may prevent a lost pet from being turned in to a shelter.
- A licensed animal will receive emergency medical treatment while in the care of Animal Control, if it is injured when found.
- Licenses help law enforcement to protect neighborhoods from dangerous dogs and investigate dog bites.
- License fees are used to care for animals and investigate complaints about stray animals.
Animal licensing resources