Legler Barn celebrates 35th anniversary

Legler Barn celebrates 35th anniversary
Posted on 04/26/2018
Historical photo of Legler Barn

A local landmark is celebrating its 35th year bringing Lenexa's history to life: Legler Barn.

In 1864, Swiss immigrant Adam Legler, his wife Elizabeth and their three sons built a barn on the northwest corner of 95th Street and Quivira Road. This was a busy thoroughfare in Legler's time, too - the Santa Fe Trail crossed this intersection to the southwest toward Olathe.

To make way for commercial construction, the barn was razed in 1972. But some were determined to give the barn a new purpose. The Holland Corporation, Gus Bogina and City Councilman John McNerney distributed "Save the Barn" collection boxes to raise funds to restore the barn.

Their efforts were a success. For about a decade, the stones saved from the barn were stored in caves of the Holland Quarry in west Lenexa. In the early 1980s, the reconstruction of the barn began with William F. "Bud" Thompson as the general volunteer overseer and Neal Harvey as the carpentry subcontractor.

To expand the barn from its original size, the team used a combination of new stone and rocks from other historic Lenexa buildings – the Lenexa District No. 46 Schoolhouse and the Max Zahner home.

Restoration was completed in 1983, and on May 3 of that year, the facility was opened as Lenexa's history museum, the Legler Barn Museum. The new barn contained a full basement, park restroom facilities and plenty of space to store and display many of Lenexa's historic artifacts.

The museum is open to visitors Wednesdays and Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

We recently featured the Legler Barn in our Living Lenexa History video series. Watch the video below.

Published April 26, 2018

Historical photos

Men building a barnMen building a barnMen building a barnLegler Barn today