Contact Us
Department Contact Information

This form is intended for general questions for the city and is forwarded to a general email address. It is not monitored 24/7.
If your question requires immediate assistance (Court, Police, Fire, etc.), please contact that department directly.
Contact Form


Security Measure


This information should not be construed as providing legal advice. If you have any questions or concerns, please consult with an attorney. Lenexa court clerks, prosecutors or the judge cannot give you legal advice.

Under Kansas law, you can be brought to trial only after a complaint or traffic citation has been filed with the court.In a trial, the burden of proof is on the city to prove you are guilty of the charges outlined in the complaint or citation.

You have the right to be represented by an attorney or you may appear act as your own attorney.  

Jury trials are not held at the Municipal Court level. A judge will hear all testimony, reach a verdict and impose a sentence. Any fines and fees assessed on your case are due the day of your trial.  

Your right to appeal

If you have been found guilty of violating a city ordinance, you may appeal the decision to the District Court of Johnson County, Kansas in Olathe for a new trial on the original complaint. Your case will be tried to a judge (or, in some cases, you may request a jury trial of six people). If you are convicted on appeal, the District Court judge may assess penalties less than, equal to, or greater than those imposed by Lenexa Municipal Court. 
In order to appeal, you must properly file a Notice of Appeal, serve a copy on the City Attorney and post the required appearance bond with the Lenexa Municipal court clerks within 14 days from the date of the judgment (see K.S.A. 22-3609 and K.S.A. 22-3610). 
Your appearance bond receipt gives you the date, time and place of your first appearance in the Johnson County District Court. If you fail to appear at that time or at any time during the course of your appeal, your bond will be forfeited, your appeal will be dismissed, and the case will be returned to the Lenexa Municipal Court for execution on the fine and/or sentence initially imposed.