Certificates of Occupancy

Before you can occupy any new or existing commercial space, you must first receive a certificate of occupancy (CO).

Commercial certificates of occupancy

All businesses in Lenexa must have a certificate of occupancy. This certifies that your business is in a properly zoned location and that your space has been inspected for building and life safety code compliance.

Community Development Customer Service 

[email protected]



You can apply for a commercial certificate of occupancy by completing the Commercial Certificate of Occupancy Application and submitting via email to [email protected] or in person:

8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, at:
Lenexa City Hall
17101 W. 87th St. Pkwy.
Lenexa, KS 66219

For complex situations or changes in occupancy to different use classifications, and at the discretion of City code officials, the owner may need to retain the services of a Kansas licensed design professional to prepare and submit a building and fire code analysis for the building and operation. The analysis is commonly referred to as a “Code Footprint.” Compliance with the requirement is established per section 104.7.2 of the 2018 International Fire Code and shall be provided at no cost to the City of Lenexa.

For more information about what details are required on a code footprint, view this document.


You should apply for your commercial CO at one of two times:

  • New construction: When you are submitting your application for permit through the Online permitting and application portal, you may upload the completed Certificate of Occupancy application when uploading permit documents.

  • New business: When you are applying for your business license

If you are applying for a CO with a building permit application, then the permitting process and timelines apply. If you are applying for a CO only, then it takes us approximately 10 working days to review your application. Once we have reviewed your application, we will contact you to schedule an inspection. Once we approve the inspection, you will be issued your CO.

  • You must clearly display your CO at all times.

  • If you acquire additional space adjacent to an area with a CO, we require that you obtain a new CO.


$100 (fee waived if submitted as part of a commercial building permit application)

  • Due at the time of your application

  • This fee is in addition to any applicable business licensing or permitting fees

Please note that an application for occupancy will not be processed until the application has been filled out in its entirety. 

Residential certificates of occupancy

Before a residence can be occupied, it must have a residential CO (or temporary certificate of occupancy), which certifies that it has received an approved final inspection by a city inspector. It follows the residential permitting process and is only needed when a new home is initially constructed.


There is not a separate application or fees for a residential certificate of occupancy. To receive your certificate, schedule a final inspection:

Once we have approved the residence, your approved final inspection/CO will be forwarded to you.

Temporary certificates of occupancy

Sometimes, our building inspectors will recommend a temporary certificate of occupancy (TCO), allowing you to occupy an area before a final inspection is fully approved. Whether we issue a TCO is up to the building official’s discretion.


  1. Complete the Application for Temporary Certificate of Occupancy and include a copy of your final inspection notice.

  2. The building official will review your application and, if approved, issue you a TCO.

  3. After you complete the remaining work and before your TCO is expired, schedule a final inspection.

  4. When all items are completed and approved by our building inspectors, you will be issued a permanent CO.


If the remaining work on your project is not complete by the TCO expiration date, you may request an extension. We will review your request and either give you a new expiration date or reasons for the denial of your request.

TCO Extension Request Form


  • Temporary Certificate of Occupancy: $100, due at the time of application

  • Extensions: $250 for the first renewal and $500 for each additional renewal.

No renewal fees are required for model homes, as long as there are no code deficiencies.