Court Process

This information should not be construed as providing legal advice. If you have any questions or concerns, please consult with an attorney. Lenexa court clerks, prosecutors or the judge cannot give you legal advice.

At Lenexa Municipal Court, all people and their property will pass through a metal detector and x-ray machine before entering the courtroom. No weapons of any kind are allowed in the courtroom. All knives, razors, chemical sprays, and weapons will be seized.

Paying fines and fees

If your violation has a specified fine amount, you can choose to pay fines and fees prior to your court date by pleading no contest or guilty. If any violation charged on your traffic ticket specifies “Court,” you must appear in court for arraignment on your Notice to Appear date.

Pay your ticket in person or by mail

On the back of your traffic ticket, circle your plea of guilty or no contest in the paragraph under Appearance, Plea of Guilty and Waiver. Make sure to sign and date the ticket. This traffic ticket must accompany your payment.

You may send a personal check or money order made payable to the City of Lenexa for the total due for fines plus court costs to:

Municipal Court

City of Lenexa, Kansas

12400 W. 87th St. Pkwy.

Lenexa, KS 66215

You may also leave payment in the 24-hour drop box located in the brick pillar to the left of the glass entry doors into the Municipal Court building.

Arriving at court

Lenexa Municipal Court is located at 12400 W. 87th St. Pkwy, Lenexa, KS 66215. Please enter in the doors located by the flag poles in the parking lot.

When coming to court, be sure to bring all of the information that pertains to your court case with you. This may include proof of insurance, a valid driver’s license, proof of restitution, proof of completing a class, a drug / alcohol evaluation, or other information.

You must check-in for your court appearance as people are seen in the order they check-in. Please view the TV screens upon entry into the courthouse for direction on where to check-in.


At arraignment, you will appear in court and enter a plea for your charged violations. You can enter a plea of:

  • Guilty – You admit to having committed the act charged. The judge will order a fine, jail time or other sentence.

  • No Contest – You do not contest the city's charge. The judge will enter a verdict of guilty and order a fine, jail time or other sentence. A plea of no contest is not an admission of fault and cannot be used against you in a civil proceeding.

  • Not Guilty – You deny guilt, which means the city must prove our charge. Your case will be set for trial or a pre-trial conference with the city prosecutor to see what options are available to you.

Court clerks can process requests for traffic ticket amendments or reduced fines on certain moving violations. These must be handled in-person. Violations not eligible to be amended by the court clerks, you must appear on your court date and speak with a prosecutor.

Right to an attorney

You have the right to be represented by an attorney in all cases at Lenexa Municipal Court. If you are charged with an offense that may result in jail time, you must decide whether to proceed with or without an attorney. If you would like an attorney but cannot afford one, the court will appoint an attorney to represent you.

We cannot advise or represent private citizens or entities. If you are seeking personal legal advice, please contact a private attorney. You can use the following resources to find an attorney:

Entry of appearance

If you would like your attorney to appear in court on your behalf, they must file an entry of appearance. We require entries of appearance to be submitted in writing to [email protected]. The entry must contain the attorney's Kansas Bar Number.

If you are accused of a crime, our diversion program allows you to possibly avoid a conviction. In diversion, you enter into a contract to comply with certain conditions.


Under Kansas law, you can be brought to trial only after a complaint or traffic citation has been filed with the court. In a trial, the burden of proof is on the city to prove that you are guilty of the charges outlined in the complaint or citation. You have the right to be represented by an attorney or you may act as your own attorney.