Animal Control

Animal Control Unit officers standing outside of the Lenexa Police Department.

Our Animal Control Unit has three officers who respond to a variety of animal-related calls.

File a report

Call Animal Control at 913.477.7385 if:

  • Your pet is lost and you would like to file a lost pet report. We will ask for your name, address, phone number and a description of the animal.

  • You encounter a wild animal that is sick, injured or inside your home.

  • You would like to file an animal complaint.


Like most cities, we only provide limited response to wildlife complaints. We will respond to calls of sick or injured animals creating an immediate public threat, or animals inside the living areas of your home (this does not include attics or chimneys).

We do not respond to, or trap and release, nuisance wildlife complaints. You should hire a professional trapping company or seek additional information from the Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks & Tourism at 913.422.1314.

If you find an orphaned animal that is not threatening, you should work with Operation Wildlife, located in Linwood, Kansas.

  • Keep your pets and children away from the animal

  • Do not give the animal food or water

  • Call OWL at 785.542.3625

  • Take the animal to one of OWL’s facilities.


Pet licenses

You are required to license all dogs and cats age 6 months and older, within 10 days of the animal being in the city. As a pet owner, you can have up to two dogs and/or two cats in your home. If you would like to have more, you will need a special pet permit.

Stray animals

If you lost your pet or you found a stray dog, please call us to make a report. Once you have reported your lost pet with us, we recommend you check the following resources to see if your pet has been located by someone else. NOTE: We do not respond to stray cat calls.