Court Frequently Asked Questions

I just want to pay my fines. Do I still have to come to court?

If all charges on your traffic ticket have a specified fine amount, you may choose to pay your fines and fees prior to your court date and not appear in court. If any charges on your traffic ticket specifies “Court,” you must appear in court on your Notice to Appear date.

Pay a ticket

Do I have to pay court costs if I’m just paying my ticket and not coming to court?

Yes. By city ordinance 2-12-L-1, a court cost is assessed on each case filed with the court. Court costs include administrative costs and fees paid to the State of Kansas.

How do I take care of a no proof of insurance ticket?

If you had insurance coverage on the vehicle you were driving at the time the ticket was issued, submit proof of that coverage to the court clerk via email at, fax at 913.477.7619, or in person. If you did not have insurance coverage at the time of your ticket, you may be eligible to have this charge amended to a lesser offense if you are approved by a city prosecutor and complete the requirements within 60 days from the date of the offense.

No proof of insurance amendment requirements(PDF, 147KB)

How to I take care of an equipment or child restraint ticket?

  • Equipment violations - You can have an equipment violation dismissed if you make the required repair and bring the vehicle and your ticket to the Lenexa Police Department at 12500 W. 87th St. Pkwy., within 10 days of the date on the ticket. An officer is available 24 hours a day to check your vehicle repair.
  • Child Restraint violations - You can have your fine waived if you provide proof to the court that you have purchased an appropriate and approved child passenger safety restraining system.

How do I take care of a ticket for driving with a suspended license?

If you did not have a valid driver’s license at the time of your ticket, you may be eligible to have this charge amended to a lesser offense if you are approved by a city prosecutor and complete the requirements within 90 days of the date of the offense.

Please be advised that the amendment fee is $150, plus court costs, and is due in one payment at the time of the amendment.

  • Get your driver's license reinstated.
  • Bring proof of reinstatement and money to pay the amendment fee and court costs to your next court date.

If your license has been suspended for an alcohol related event, you are not eligible for an amendment.

*Nothing contained herein shall constitute an agreement to amend your citation. All amendments are subject to the sole discretion of the prosecutor.

How can I keep a moving violation from appearing on my driving record?

Court clerks can process requests for traffic ticket amendments or reduced fines on certain moving violations. Full payment is due at the time the amendment or reduction is requested. If you cannot pay, you must appear on your court date. For violations that are not eligible for amendment by the court clerk, you must appear on your court date to speak with a prosecutor. Fines are generally doubled, plus court costs.

Amending a ticket

I would like to speak with an attorney about my ticket. Who should I call?

We cannot advise or represent private citizens or entities. If you are seeking personal legal advice, please contact a private attorney. You can use the following resources to find an attorney:

How do I find the status of my driver’s license or get a copy of my driving record?

Can I change my court date?

The court clerks may grant one continuance from the Notice to Appear date on your traffic ticket or complaint, unless the charges involve a victim. You would be granted a one-time, one-week continuance to another arraignment docket. Please email or call 913.477.7600 for a continuance or fill out this form.

What happens if I miss my court date?

Visit our online record search to learn the status of your case. The judge may have ordered a warrant for your arrest due to your failure to appear in court. The court may also have requested that the state suspend your driving privileges. Kansas state law allows the court to submit outstanding fines and fees to collections, which may result in additional costs of up to 33 percent of the balance due.

Who do I contact if my case has been submitted to collections?

Lenexa Municipal Court submits outstanding debts to the Collection Bureau of Kansas (CBK). Their Customer Service Department can be reached at 785.228.3636 or toll free at 866.858.3636.

What should I do if I have a warrant?

You should go to the Lenexa Police Department at any time to post your bond. Bring photo identification and payment for your bond (cash, credit card or through a surety bondsman). You will be given a court date to appear before the judge. The judge sees defendants who have warrants on Wednesdays at 4p.m. On your court date, please be on time and check in with the court clerks with your photo identification.

How do I get to the jail?

If you are ordered to report to the jail, go to the Olathe Adult Detention Center, 101 N. Kansas Ave, Olathe, KS 66061.

Directions to the Olathe Adult Detention Center

For more information, please visit the website for the Johnson County Sheriff's Office.